Friday, August 24, 2012

Pie Chart Intervention

So we use PBS as our behavior management system at my school. So far, so good. The students earn something called CAT tags for doing the things they are supposed to, and as a class they set a goal to meet. Once the class gets to that goal, they earn a reward and then get to choose a new goal. My students decided that they would like to have a Game Day, where they can bring in their iPods, PSPs, DSs, Wiis, etc to class and play games on a Friday during advisory. The teachers are in charge of posting the goals for the class as well as the progress on their goals. Being the nerdy math teacher I am (read: awesome math teacher), I made my kids help me figure out their daily average, and the number of days it would take them to reach their goal based on their current CAT tag collecting. They actually upped the ante by 50% today, but that's just a fun fact.

What I'm really amused by is that I put a pie chart up on the board whereas the rest of the teachers just put the goal and how many they have. Either I'm going to get a lot of flack for being a nerdy math teacher (read: awesome math teacher) or I'm going to get told that that's really not how we do it. But, the way I see it, the kids helped me come up with those calculations so I'm posting their results. The pie chart shows that we are 27% of the way to our goal. So twelve school days from now we should, theoretically, have the 500 we need. Theoretically.

Even more amusing, I've been vegging and watching How I Met Your Mother tonight and the episode where Marshall has to have a chart/graph intervention came on.





I'm pretty sure my co-workers are going to stage an intervention for me when they get back for work next week. :)

4 comments:

  1. PBS is a behavior management system? I thought it was just the Public Broadcasting System! Do you use it as a reward or a punishment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PBS stands for positive behavior support. We give the students a list of expectations and discuss what proper behavior looks like in different places around school. If they are caught doing what they are supposed to, they can earn rewards, and if they aren't doing what they are supposed to there are consequences.

      Delete
  2. Pretty good work there, I must say...

    ReplyDelete