Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Survived! My First Day in the Classroom

Well, I'd have to say that the day, overall, was a pretty big success. We are a PBS school, so there are a lot of things that we had to go through today that took up more time than I anticipated given this is the first time doing all of this. It took me probably 45 minutes to go through my expectations and telling the kids a little about me.

They really liked the me bag stuff (talking about the travel I've done was a big hit, the kids loved the postcards I brought from different places I've been), and I even got a positive response to the mad minutes I gave out. The kids were fairly respectful, but I already have a few that I know I'm going to have to keep an eye on, but I'm sure that's to be expected. If I had to compare today to my first day of student teaching, I think today was very smooth and had a lot less to deal with discipline-wise. And that's fantastic to know.

Tomorrow will bring more mad minutes (and I can't wait to see how they do with subtraction; I gave them a wide cushion on time in addition and about half in each class passed), pulling out textbooks for the first time, and a few more get to know you activities since we didn't really get to do a lot of the kids telling ME about THEM! The only thing I'm concerned about not getting to today is my game expectations discussion; I have a cooperative game for them to play to show me (while I have the time to walk around and observe) that they can handle playing games in small groups. If they can handle it now, they'll have the opportunity to play some related games when we get to math workshop.

For now, it's time to get home. Had a good day, got to see my cheerleaders and check in with them, and make sure that everything is going good. Gotta do dishes tonight, cook dinner, and then veg for a few hours when I get home (even though it's already 7 pm)!

So how did your first day go, if you've had it already? If not, what are some of your plans for the day? What do you do to amp yourself up for the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment